General Tools and Materials:
Outlet is recessed from the panel and sits flush against the drywall.
Outlet extender is used to bring the outlet closer to the face of the panel.
Electrical Outlet Surround Installation
Plan the Installation
- Remove all outlet plates.
- Trim and dry fit panels for the row where the electrical outlet surround will be installed.
- Determine which panel will need to be cut to accommodate the outlet surround.
- Consult the appropriate Panel Installation Guide for full instructions.
Install Electrical Box Extender
- Electrical Box Extender (Needed for standard Electrical outlet surround only)
- Caulk / Chalk / Paint
- Outline the perimeter of the box with a material that will transfer a mark to the back of the panel. Chalk, paint or caulk all work well.
- Press the panel against the wall and mark the back of the panel.
Pro Tip: Install the panels leading up to the outlet before marking the panel to cut.
- Tape Measure
- Outlet Surround
- Place the panel face down on a soft surface.
- Place the outlet surround on the panel, centered on the mark from Step 2 and use a pencil to outline the surround.
- Screw Gun / Drill Driver & Bits
- Jig Saw with Finish Blade
- Drill pilot holes in the corners.
- Use a jig saw to cut along the outline of the outlet surround.
Pro Tip: Cut about 1/4” inside the lines to allow for a snug fit.
- Course Grit Sandpaper
- Hold the panel up to the wall and ensure that the hole is centered on the outlet.
- If needed, use a coarse grit sandpaper to adjust the hole so that it can accommodate the surround and is centered on the existing outlet.
- Dry fit the surround into the panel and make any necessary adjustments for a snug fit.
Finish the Drywall (Slim outlet only)
- Touchup Kit
- Small Paint Brush
- The opening of the slim outlet surround is intended to be a bit larger than the plate that covers the electrical outlet.
- Use the wash from touch up kit to finish about a 1” perimeter around the outlet box.
Install the rest of the panels based on the appropriate panel installation guide.
Install the Surround
- Caulk Gun
- Loctite® PL® Premium® 3X Construction Adhesive
- Once the wash used in Step 7 has dried, screw the outlet plate back on the outlet
- Install the surround by adding small amount of adhesive to the back of the surround and inserting in the opening.
- Install the surround by adding a small amount of adhesive to the back of the surround and inserting in the opening.
- Screw the outlet plate onto the outlet.