General Tools and Materials
- Unfinished Beam Sample
- Water-Based Stain or Paint
- Paint Brush
- Clean Cotton Cloth
- Tack Cloth
- Drop Cloth
- Only use water-based stains or paints.
- Do not use oil-based stains or paints (including Minwax). They will not dry properly.
- Do not use solvent-based materials on beams.
- Do not use a roller or paint sprayer to apply the stain/paint.
- Apply stain/paint in thin layers to prevent the color from becoming too dark. Once applied, color cannot be removed.
- Barron Designs accepts no responsibility for customer-finished beams. If you have questions please reach out to our Customer Experience & Design Support Team at (800) 651-4223 for assistance.
Place the beam on a drop cloth. Wipe the beam with a tack cloth to remove any debris. [Figure A]
- Thoroughly mix stain/paint. Dip brush into stain/paint and remove excess.
- Wipe brush on a clean cotton cloth or cardboard scrap so that so that minimal stain/paint remains on the brush (known as dry brush method). [Figure B]
- Brush the remaining stain/paint onto the beam following the direction of the grain. Do not paint against the grain. [Figure C]
- Reload brush as needed.
Allow stain/paint to dry completely.
Evaluate color and repeat if necessary.