Custom Straps Installation Instructions
General Tools and Materials
- Beam Strap
- Loctite® PL® Premium® 3X Construction Adhesive
- Caulk Gun
- Caulk or Permanent Marker
- Screw Gun / Drill Driver & Bits
- Drywall Screws
- Utility Knife
- Clean Cloth
- Tape Measure
- Safety Glasses
- Be sure to obey all safety rules and recommendations set forth by tool manufacturers.
- Wear safety glasses during the entire installation process.
- Always comply with clearances set forth by the manufacturer of stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, and any other heat source.
Find the Center of the Strap
Lay the strap flat. Find the line on the back of the strap that indicates the center. Use a pencil to mark the center location on the edge of the strap.
Dry Fit the Strap to the Beam
- Lay the strap along the beam.
- Align the v-grooves with the corners, making sure that the strap is square.
- Draw a light pencil line perpendicular to the center of the beam strap (as marked in Step 1).
- Wrap the strap around the rest of the beam. Mark and trim any protrusions.
- Repeat if using more than one strap per beam.
HINT: The manufacturing process can create slight variations in the outside dimensions of the beams. Be sure to measure and fit each strap to a specific beam.
Install the Beam
Install the beam using the installation-appropriate instructions.
Apply a ¼” bead of adhesive to the back of the strap, avoiding the edges. Be sure to get some into the v-grooves.
- Align the center of the strap to the marks made in Step 2.
- Press firmly on the strap working from the center up each side to ensure good contact between the adhesive and the beam.
- Screw the strap to the beam starting at the bottom corners then screwing one side and the other.
- Wipe off any excess adhesive with a clean cloth.
- Look at the strap from the ground. If the strap is not lying flat against the beam, install additional screws.
- If screw heads are visible, hide them using black caulk or permanent marker.