In this post, we'll show you how to install a fireplace mantel using the variety of wood beam mantels we offer. Below are basic installation instructions for our line of faux and real wood mantels.
Learning how to install a fireplace mantel is easy for any homeowner
How to Install Faux Wood Mantels
Available in custom sizing, and in a range of attractive textures, colors, and finishes, you’ll easily find a style that suits your design preferences.
Mount a 2 x 4 on your wall.
- Just mount a 2 x 4 on your wall. When you’re installing mantelpieces less than 6" high, you’ll need to cut down the 2 x 4 so that it will fit inside the opening of the mantel.
Slide the mantel over the 2 x 4.
- Slide the mantel shelf over the 2 x 4.
Put screws through the top of the mantel.
How to Install Yellowstone Mantels
- Next, put screws through the top of the mantel so that it anchors into the 2 x 4. For added security, you can also apply construction glue to the edges of the mantel.
Available in Unfinished style and in an attractive Walnut color, the Yellowstone mantel shelf is very easy to install. Below are instructions on how to do this with the French Cleat that it’s supplied with.
Use a level while holding the mounting strip on the wall.
- Hold the French cleat mounting strip on the wall with its notch facing up. Make sure to use a level to make sure that it’s straight.
The notch should be facing up.
Put 3 screws into the mounting strip.
- Make sure the notch on the mounting strip is facing up, as shown below.
Place the mantel over the wooden mounting strip.
- While holding the level, put three screws into the wooden mounting strip to attach it to the wall.
- Next, place the mantel on the wall over the mounting strip. Make sure the wooden strip on the wall and the inside of the mantel interlock securely.
How to Install Real Wood Mantels
- You’re done!
Installing our real wood mantels is also extremely easy.
Real wood mantels mount to walls very easily.
- Simply mount a 2 x 4 and on your wall.
- The mantel will slide easily over the 2 x 4.
- Next, screw the mantel to the wall. It’s a good idea to also use construction adhesive for extra security.